Military Jets Bomb Western Mogok Despite Ceasefire

Posted on

Military Jets Bomb Western Mogok Despite Declared Ceasefire

On April 5, military jets bombed western Mogok, targeting a remote area in Kyat Pyin Township, located in Mandalay Region. According to local reports, the jets dropped two powerful bombs near a tower by a cemetery close to Pingu Mountain.

Eyewitnesses described the terrifying moment when drone sounds preceded the bombing. “As soon as we heard the aircraft descending, we ran for shelter,” said one resident. Fortunately, the bombs fell in an area with few buildings or homes, and no injuries or deaths were reported.

Despite the absence of casualties, residents remain on edge. “We fear it could happen again at any time,” said a local woman.

The Ta’ang National Liberation Army (TNLA) has controlled parts of Mogok since June 2024, and the area has experienced repeated airstrikes by the military junta since then. These bombings come at a time when Myanmar is still grappling with the aftermath of a devastating earthquake that killed thousands across the country.

Ironically, the junta’s leader Min Aung Hlaing had announced a three-week nationwide ceasefire on April 2, just days before the BIMSTEC Summit in Bangkok. However, military operations, including shelling and bombing, have continued unabated in resistance-held areas.

The incident has intensified concerns over the military’s lack of commitment to peace, despite public ceasefire declarations. As the conflict escalates, civilians in Mogok and beyond continue to live in fear of sudden and unprovoked attacks.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *